If a returning traveler has a fever, think malaria malaria malaria!!!
Step 1: Ask your patient if they have traveled within the last year
- If yes… You should at least CONSIDER malaria
Step 2: If patient says yes, take a travel history
- When did they go
- Where did they stay
- Where they exposed to anything concerning
- Weird foods
- Sexual partners
- Sick people
- Where they in developed/tourist areas or “off the trail”
Step 3: Ask about prophylaxis
- Did they see a doctor before leaving?
- Did they take any immunizations or medicines prior to departure?
- Did they continue prophylaxis as instructed?
Step 4: Go to the CDC website
- Look up the country of concern
- Will help establish your differential
Step 5: Test for malaria
- If you are concerned that patient has malaria…
- Order thick and thin blood smear
- CDC Yellow Book (CDC Website)