Make your patient remember your name.
- Introduce yourself clearly
- Show the patient your badge
- Use a nickname if your name is difficult for people to remember/understand
- Repeat your name again and again
Keep the patient informed about…
- Anticipated ED course/timeline
Keep your patient comfortable.
- Get them blankets
- Show them how to use the remote/call light
- Adjust the bed
- Turn down the lights
- Get them something to drink
- Spend no more than 10 minutes with the patient
- Immediately grab your attending if the patient is ill appearing
Use a translator.
- Learn how to use a medical translator in your department (phone vs consult vs video consult)
- INDEPENDENTLY use a translator to obtain your history when appropriate