Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Make your patient remember your name.
- Introduce yourself clearly
- Show the patient your badge
- Use a nickname if your name is difficult for people to remember/understand
- Repeat your name again and again
Keep the patient informed about…
- Anticipated ED course/timeline
Keep your patient comfortable.
- Get them blankets
- Show them how to use the remote/call light
- Adjust the bed
- Turn down the lights
- Get them something to drink
- Spend no more than 10 minutes with the patient
- Immediately grab your attending if the patient is ill appearing
Use a translator.
- Learn how to use a medical translator in your department (phone vs consult vs video consult)
- INDEPENDENTLY use a translator to obtain your history when appropriate
Hey Dr. Olson, I have my first audition rotation coming up in July so I am re-listening to your SLOE tips. It’s amazing how much of a difference the little things made on my home EM elective. All the nurses loved me and my attending made it a point to tell me that I performed almost all the students, including 4th years & PGY-1s, that came before me. It’s all thanks to your resources, I try to listen and annotate one a day and have them on favorites on all my devices for quick reference. Thanks for all of your time and effort.