Podcast: Play in new window | Download
CAUTION: THESE NOTES CONTAIN SPOILERS!!!
You are working a shift at EM Clerkshift General when a 20yo female accompanied by her mother checks into the ER with chief complaint of fatigue.
- Temp 101.2F
- HR 122
- RR 22
- BP 110/90
- O2 98%
- Obtain travel history in patient presenting with fever of unknown source
- Perform sepsis workup and treatment in patient with at least 2 SIRS criteria
- Order thick/thin peripheral blood smear
- Consult ID
- Admit patient
Tips and Tricks
- Always obtain detailed history in patient presenting with fever without obvious source (travel history for infectious agents, IV Drug history for endocarditis, etc)
- Utilize CDC.org to determine which infections are endemic to each country that your patient traveled in
So far zack’s best ABEM case ever , Loved it . You rock ! MD Estephan you totally nailed it.
Thanks for the kind words 🙂